Saturday, August 9, 2014

1812 Musician Coatee!!!

This is a custom project for a friend I've been excited about.  It's an American militia musician's coatee ca. 1812, based on a couple of originals.  The coatee has false lapels and closes at the front with hooks and eyes.  The body is constructed of the best quality scarlet kersey, lined in the sleeves with muslin, and in the tails with white serge, which also serves as the false turnbacks.  The trim is double vellum metallic lace, and the buttons are from a vintage West Point dress coat.  The coatee is entirely hand sewn with linen and silk threads.





Hooks and eyes set into the facings.

Detail of hand set turnbacks and gold lace lozenge.

Flase turnbacks.

Detail showing skirt pocket opening.

Saturday, June 14, 2014

P1839 Forage Cap!

My first attempt at a pattern of 1839 US Army forage cap.  The body is made of dark blue wool broadcloth, interfaced with heavy hemp canvas, and lined with brown cotton sateen.  The crown is welted and padded with wool batting.  The visor is painted and varnished using period recipes.  It is attached with a leather welt, per originals.  The varnished leather chinstrap is attached with two flat brass buttons.  The fold-down cape is tied with black silk ribbons, and attaches with two hand sewn buttonholes.  Still looking for a source for the correct buttons.





Saturday, May 17, 2014

Short stays!

This is a set of short stays I recently put together for my wife.  It's a simple pattern I cut, exhibiting many of the common aspects of early to mid nineteenth century stays.  It is lightly boned at the front, side, and back, with some cording at the underbust.  It has two double-gored bust pieces, and two completely removable shoulder straps.  The binding is self fabric bias.  The fabric is cotton drill, and it is entirely hand stitched in linen thread.




Detail showing cording and bust gores.


Side detail showing cording, side boning, and bias binding.

Back detail showing lacing eyelets.

Detail of shoulder strap.

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Mle. 1897 Tente Abri Individuelle

Here are some new pictures of the French WW1 tents I've been producing.  The original half was assembled from two panels of 36" light-weight tan cotton, stitched selvege to selvege.  It has 2" hems at bottom and top, and 2 1/4" hems at the sides.  The hems were stitched in on long continuous line from inside to outside, looping at the corners.  Each corner, as well as the lower center, has two hand stitched grommets for rope lines.  Along each end and the top are seven evenly spaced hand-stitched buttonholes and corresponding buttons.  This one has the repro buttons provided by Brett Johnson.  Along the center line and in an arc at top center there are a series of tabs which (I believe) allow the tent to be used as a sort of poncho.  I have tried to reproduce the original in meticulous detail, though I confess the fabric is still a bit light compared to the original.  A good coat of waterproofing should help!











Wednesday, March 19, 2014

1770s Breeches!

These are some linen breeches I made for a friend.  All hand stitched, except for the inseams and side seams.  Small fall front.  Corner flap pockets.  Pewter buttons and brass knee buckles.