Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Adjustable silk stock!

This is an adjustable pre-tied silk stock/cravat/necktie for Civil War era living history.  It is made to fit a variety of sizes and, adjusting with a small buckle in the back.  Available on the Etsy page.  More colors and shapes to come...

Tuesday, December 11, 2012


This is an overcoat I made last year from a pattern based on an original at the Atlanta History Center.  It's a nice brown wool twill with hard rubber buttons and a detachable cape of the same material lined with red flannel.

More Braces!

These are a new set of braces I made special for a client.  They are similar to others I have made, but they have small elastic sections on the back ends.  This is the last of a great old shirting fabric I've had in the scrap bag for years.

Monday, November 26, 2012

Double Breasted Vest

This is a vest I made and sold earlier this year.  The pattern is from Compaing and Devere's 1855 manual.  The fashion fabric is nice paisley upholstery fabric.  The lining is brown cotton sateen.  It is heavily padded and quilted in the chest and has suede lower front facings.  The buttons are bone covered in burgundy velvet, and the back belt closes with a japanned buckle. 

New caps!

Here are some sleeping caps I finished yesterday.  They're all up for sale on the Etsy page.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012


Here are some new braces I finished today.  They are built from Nick Sekela's Louisiana striped shirting over canvas with leather tabs and japaned buckles.

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Sleeping caps!

New sleeping caps recently I recently listed on Etsy.

These are a couple of new sleeping caps I recently posted on Etsy.  They are blue wool flannel with cotton linings, all hand sewn.  The larger one has a gold wool tassel, and the smaller one has a blue hemp tassel.  There will be more of these on the way soon.  Tell me what color combos you'd like to see.

WW1 French Shelter Half

This is what I'm working on right now!  French WW1 shelter half.  The original is on the bottom and my prototype is on the top.  It's a little light weight compared to the orginal, but otherwise quite close.  I'm still looking for a better fabric.
Stitching away.

DB frock coat!

This is a long-term project I recently completed.  It's a copy of a mid to late 19th Century double breasted frock coat.

Rear view.

Notice the satin facings, the silk covered buttons, and the wool lace binding.

Close up.

Close up of the machine pad stitching on the under collar.



I'm indebted to my customer (really benefactor) for the unlimited patience it took to wait out this project.  It seemed like forever, but here it is.  The coat is constructed from a nice mid-weight worsted, padded with woolen wadding and linen, lined with sateen, faced with silk satin, and bound with worsted lace.  It was copied directly from an original coat dating from the 1860s-1880s.  This was an extensive project and a really interesting one.  I think it came out rather nicely.  One of these days, I'll have a chance to make one for myself!

Monday, October 15, 2012

New blog!!!

Hello all!  Welcome to my new blogger page.  I want this to be a place where I can post pictures and discuss some of the work I've done in the past and work I will do in the future.  I will link post custom orders and I will link to items from my Etsy page, and I may even have a few listings here.  I hope you enjoy it!