Sunday, October 21, 2012

DB frock coat!

This is a long-term project I recently completed.  It's a copy of a mid to late 19th Century double breasted frock coat.

Rear view.

Notice the satin facings, the silk covered buttons, and the wool lace binding.

Close up.

Close up of the machine pad stitching on the under collar.

Unbuttoned.  






                                                                               

I'm indebted to my customer (really benefactor) for the unlimited patience it took to wait out this project.  It seemed like forever, but here it is.  The coat is constructed from a nice mid-weight worsted, padded with woolen wadding and linen, lined with sateen, faced with silk satin, and bound with worsted lace.  It was copied directly from an original coat dating from the 1860s-1880s.  This was an extensive project and a really interesting one.  I think it came out rather nicely.  One of these days, I'll have a chance to make one for myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment